The Council of National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) met on 18.12.2013 under the chairmanship of Shri Jitendra Singh, Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India. The Council reviewed the performance of the NSDF and approved accounts of NSDF for the year 2012-13.
For promotion of excellence in sports in India; NSDF has disbursed Rs. 59 crores since its inception. Sportspersons were given assistance for their customized training while support to institutes/organizations was given for development of sports infrastructure. The beneficiaries include Abhinav Bindra (Rs.3.95 crore), Ronjan Sodhi (Rs.3.81 crore), Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore (Rs.1.24 crore), Parimarjan Negi (Rs.77.13 lac), Krishna Poonia (Rs. 73.60 lacs), Somdev Devvarman (Rs. 39.50 lacs), Sania Mirza (Rs. 34.67 lacs), Mary Kom (Rs.34.18 lacs), Shiva Keshavan (Rs. 22.05 lacs), and Lt Col Rajesh Pattu (Rs. 21.83 lacs), , , , , etc. NSDF has also released funds to the Boxing Foundation of Mary Kom (R.1.53 crore) and the Athletics School of P T Usha (Rs.4.92 crore).
Detailed deliberations on the future vision of NSDF resulted in the following important decisions by the Council:
(1) Sportspersons with the potential to win medals in major international events such as the Asian Games and the Commonwealth Games leading up to Olympics 2020 will be identified and supported from NSDF;
(2) Specialized infrastructure and academies will be supported by NSDF for achieving excellence in identified sports disciplines including shooting, boxing, wrestling and archery etc.;
(3) Media campaign to be launched by NSDF for spreading sports culture in the country;
(4) NSDF to establish linkages between sports administrators, media and corporate world; and
(5) Enable setting up of professional leagues in all sports in the country to promote sports culture in the country.